As a complement to my most recent Everyday Health article, Kelp: A Natural Remedy for Hot Flashes, I decided to share this Kelp Pizza Crust recipe. The recipe uses kelp powder instead of fresh kelp to make it simpler for landlocked pizza lovers to try it out.
What You'll Need:
- 2 Tablespoons yeast (or 2 packets)
- 1+1/2 cups warm water (about 120 degrees)
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 4-5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons kelp powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the warm water, sugar, yeast, and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Stir until the butter melts.
- Sprinkle in the kelp powder.
- Add four cups of flour. The texture of the dough should be stretchy and a bit sticky. Add more flour if needed.
- Cover the dough and set it in a warm place.
- Prepare the baking sheets with a layer of butter of shortening.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Coat your hands in flour and spread the dough on the baking sheets.
- Add your favorite toppings and bake for about 20 minutes.